As the habits of internet users rapidly evolve, the methods that advertisers utilize to reach them must change as well. Some marketers say new concepts like native advertising should be considered in place of older methods like banner and display advertising, but a new report from technology company Criteo counters that assertion. Based on a field study conducted with Nielsen and Mediametrie, the Criteo report explores how performance display advertising can reach a targeted audience at the right time.
"Advertising, marketing and brand teams will be able to utilize the data provided to learn how to better identify clickers, determine length of run time for ads to be most effective and how incremental it is to other marketing channels," Criteo wrote in the study.
Some key findings from the research paper include:
- Display ads have the capability to attract consumers that paid search options may not be able to reach
- Display ads work well to attract buyers to "big ticket" items like real estate or vehicles
- Individuals who click on display ads tend to be older and have a higher income than the typical internet user
- Internet users who click on display ads do 51 percent more organic search clicks and 35 percent more paid search clicks than the typical internet user
- Performance display advertising does not overlap with search search engine marketing (SEM) efforts and increases the effectiveness of search engine optimization (SEO).
The study also noted that advertisers are willing to pay much more than they were in the past for online ad space. Performance is no longer measured on just views, but instead an ad's ability to motivate users to take the intended action step.
A display advertising company like KeyMedia Solutions can help small businesses increase their internet presence and stay competitive in their industries.