Business and leisure travelers are using their mobile devices to book flights, hotels, rental cars and other necessities for their trips, according a survey conducted by Tapjoy. The mobile ad network conducted the poll to gauge how important the relationship between consumers and their smartphones really is.
"Mobile devices are an integral part of the consumer travel experience," said Shikha Kaiwar, Tapjoy's Northwest Media Planner, on the company's blog. "Whether looking for a deal or booking a trip, travelers are commanding 20 percent of smartphone and tablet Internet traffic, and that statistic will grow as they plan out their trips for the holiday season."
Key findings from the survey are:
- 16 percent purchase airline tickets on mobile devices
- 35 percent of those polled said that they regularly researched their travel plans on a smartphone or tablet
- Mobile apps and devices are the preferred medium for making last-minute travel arrangements
- Nearly three-quarters book their travel less than three months before the departure date
- Over 50 percent of consumers use mobile devices to search for travel deals and other promotions
It is important to note that 38 percent of those surveyed are between the ages of 18 and 34 – the age group most likely to use mobile devices when making travel arrangements. The study also found that three-quarters of those polled said that they would request information about a travel company after seeing one of their ads or videos on their smartphone or tablet.
Mobile marketing is finding its way into many industries. By partnering with an internet marketing firm such as Key Media Solutions, small businesses can stay a step ahead of their competitors by reaching their targeted audience more effectively.