Programmatic Advertising is a fairly new trend. However, it is quite surprising how many people from the digital marketing industry underestimate it’s power.
Through Programmatic Advertising, a business is able to target extremely specific individuals; as of this post there is no other online tool able to get as specific as Programmatic.
Using traditional media as an example: if you think of a billboard or a magazine ad you will be targeting by reader demographics or interests. This reaches a huge audience that may or may not be relevant to the product advertised. If an individual fits perfectly into the ideal audience, you can’t be sure if that the reader will actually notice the ad and are unable to easily track responses and sales resulting from it. Same thing happens with a billboard – people have less than three seconds to read the ad, and tracking web visits and sales is nearly impossible.
Programmatic buying can add dozens – if not hundreds – of targeting parameters in order to serve an ad to the right person when they are more likely to engage and respond. It allows you to know how many people actually saw the ad, interacted with it through a click, and even converted with a purchase or subscription. Through Programmatic, you can easily measure the cost of each view, interaction, and conversion.
Here are a few targeting options for Programmatic Advertising:
- Audience is the sum of many data points that allow us to identify and serve ads to a specific individual online. This can include demographics, income, job/career, and education.
- Behavioral utilizes past purchase data, for example, to make enable us to target individuals that have recently purchased a certain product or service. This is helpful if you are selling bed liners to recent truck buyers.
- Day-parting data can be specific to the day of week and time of day. For example, your ad copy may vary to be shown during business hours or from midnight until 6 am for after hour services.
- Device type targeting allows us to serve ads to desktops only or just mobile devices, or even a specific operating system like Android or iOS.
- Geographic targeting can be by country (U.S. and international), state, DMA, city, or by zip code in order to target your specific trade are.
- Interest targeting is more specific to individual hobbies and interests – for example “traveling”.
- Contextual targeting enable us to serve ads across multiple websites based on keywords or vertical categories such as college sports.
- Site list buying target specific websites or site categories using defined domain names. This is helpful when you know your audience frequents a specific website or you want to serve ads on local media pages.
In order to effectively perform Programmatic Adverting, it is necessary to partner with companies that provide the data data, inventory, and specific industry information. The partner must also be able to serve ads through a RTB (Real Time Bidding) platform.
Here is a sampling of the always-evolving list of partners that help us enhance our services as a digital agency.
Data provider partners:
Inventory partners include:
- Facebook Exchange
- RightMedia from Yahoo
- Microsoft Ads
Another advantage of Programmatic Advertising is the cost, billing, and the ability to get a campaign started quickly. KeyMedia Solutions has the ability to start campaigns within a few hours of receiving the targeting parameters and creative elements. Another advantage of Programmatic is the fact that you can start as low as $1,000 a month.
If you have questions about Programmatic Advertising or how to do it, contact us anytime.